Manager, Inventory & Cost Reporting
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: To Make Every Home Secure. Founded in 2006, SimpliSafe is based in the heart of Boston, Massachusetts. SimpliSafe is ushering in a new era, one where anyone anywhere can have a security system that is not only simple but also on the cutting edge. SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace.
SimpliSafe Finance is on a transformation journey, modernizing our financial systems, processes, and capabilities. We're looking for a leader to help us shape all aspects of inventory and cost accounting and financial reporting. This individual will have a key role in our business transformation efforts as we scale on a high-growth trajectory. You’ll have the opportunity to work on projects that revamp and modernize the end-to-end inventory cycle, including participating in the selection of tools and systems, designing controls and business processes, and enhancing reporting.
Reporting to the Accounting Director, you will work cross functionally with the Accounting, Warehouse and Manufacturing Operations teams and be responsible for inventory data management across SimpliSafe. You will help streamline the inventory-close process and co-own the inventory life cycle by managing all inventory transactions within the ERP system, preparing monthly inventory reporting for leadership, and providing insights to the business.
If you are a self-starter who enjoys working in a collaborative environment, this is an opportunity to have a high impact on a fast-growing company!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead all aspects of reporting and analysis of product costing, variances, and inventory
- Manage the design and maintenance of the inventory and costing modules in the Company’s ERP system
- Support the general ledger and monthly financial close process through review of balance sheet account reconciliations and related journal entries for cost of revenue (COR), inventory in transit, warranty reserves, and inventory accounts
- Design the inventory reserves methodology and prepare and ensure inventory reserves are calculated appropriately on a quarterly basis
- Drive continuous financial improvement and provide management effective understanding and analysis of inventory and COR actual results
- Act as internal auditor of physical inventory and cycle counts and investigate significant discrepancies
- Develop automated techniques for tracking inventory in transit within the ERP
- Coordinate quarterly consigned inventory analysis and review adjustments across all locations
- Investigate inventory stock variances reported at SimpliSafe’s big-box retail partners
- Collaborate with Retail and Warehouse teams to drive best practices in terms of receiving, shipping, and inventory management that support the achievement of inventory accuracy goals and ensures the retail returns process also operates smoothly
- Ensure practices are in place to prepare and maintain schedules and supporting documentation needed for the year-end audit
- Provide leadership and take accountability for identifying and driving process and systems improvements initiatives, including upcoming order management system (OMS) and warehouse management system (WMS) implementations
- Monitor effectiveness of controls in the inventory and cost accounting system while making recommendations for improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting
- 5+ years corporate (or mix of public and private) accounting experience in inventory accounting and reporting
- Big 4 public accounting experience highly preferred
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of inventory related functions and US GAAP
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work autonomously
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines
- Excellent analytical capabilities including Microsoft Excel skills and spreadsheet analysis techniques required with strong attention to detail
- Quick learner with an ability to adapt to change and excel in a very dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Ability to make recommendations and experience driving process improvement initiatives in the inventory cycle
- Enterprise ERP experience (NetSuite preferred)
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate with cross functional teams