Cloud Operations Network Engineer
We are looking for a Networking Engineer for our Cloud Engineering organization to bridge the gap from our physical to cloud network. Cloud Operations enables SimpliSafe Software Platform teams to deliver more value to our customers and stakeholders through promotion of best practices, coaching of the values of DevOps, and creation of tools that support them. We deliver tools and information in order to help teams build better solutions, delivered faster, with fewer defects, that secure the safety of tens of millions of people.
We are looking for a unique individual who has both a networking background and a strong DevOps/Cloud mindset. If you're well-versed with Cisco and/or Juniper and want to join a multi-talented DevOps team, we want to hear from you. The person we are looking for will keep us connected, secure, PCI compliant, and highly-available across multiple platforms and geographies, while providing visibility into our configuration and traffic patterns.
In this role, you will be responsible for applying our core principles of automation, reproducibility, scalability, testability, and security to our network infrastructure. You will work with cross-functional teams to evangelize and develop the same principles throughout the Engineering organization.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work in 2019’ list and in Wealthfront’s ‘2019 Career Launching Companies’ list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we would love to hear from you!
- Improve local network segregation to better protect critical/high-security traffic, audit and fix existing network configurations
- Implement and test failover, build and maintain a deployment pipeline for firmware and configurations for (at least) our access switches
- Create automated, reproducible,changes for the network stack. Work towards a continuous model of change and improvement
- Monitor and identify traffic patterns within the network, especially sources of abnormally-high bandwidth usage & alert as necessary, plan for scale and global growth.
- Be excited to join SimpliSafe’s collaborative, proactive, no-ego approach to getting work done.
- Have a solid understanding of DNS, TCP/IP, layer 3 and layer 7 load balancing and routing.
- Have at least 3-5 years of Network experience, including 2-3 years experience with AWS or similar cloud based network technology.
- Have superior problem-solving skills in complex, highly available, production environments.
- Have exceptional verbal and written communication skills, but also comfortable working independently.
- Responsible for balancing your time across multiple projects.
- Eager to work in an agile environment on an agile team.
- Love building new things, but realize that maintenance is half the battle.
- Security conscious.
- Experience with some combination of Juniper, Cisco Meraki, Fortinet, Cisco CSRs, AWS transit gateways, Direct Connects, VPGs, BGP configurations, and SD WANs
- Leverage network technologies to achieve scale and latency requirements.
- Experience building relationships with external partners/vendors/carriers
- Proven track record with Infrastructure as Code (IAC) and automating cloud network solutions. Extra points for Terraform experience.
- Experience in an IoT and microservices environment.
- Have worked within PCI, HIPAA, GDPR, CCPA or other compliance specifications.
- Ability to design and implement globally available and redundant infrastructure.
- Experience creating scalable network infrastructure in a multi-account AWS/cloud organization
- Infrastructure as Code: AWS services including EC2, RDS, S3,
- CloudWatch, Route53, Lambda
- Network: - Platform: Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu), Firmware/Embedded
- DevOps Tools: Ansible, Vagrant, Terraform, Consul, Puppet, GoCD,
- Jenkins, Github, Docker, Grafana, New Relic, & more
- Development: Node.js, Angular, Drupal/PHP, C++, Python, MySQL,
- MongoDB, Redis, RabbitMQ, & more