Creative Director, Interaction Design
Simplisafe is looking for a Creative Director of Interaction Designer as we scale our Design team. In this role, you will design the interactions of the hardware/software user experience of our next generation of Simplisafe branded home security products. This role is a great opportunity to creatively influence across all digital and physical touchpoints of the user journey. You will work on the now and you will define where we will go next.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against the entrenched giants, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively. In service to this challenge, we are expanding our Product Design team to produce the most cutting-edge designs on the market for our future products.
What you’ll do:
- Work with user experience, user research, HW design, product managers, engineering and brand to explore, prototype and champion new and delightful user experiences.
- Identify opportunities for design across the user journey
- Translate user insights into digital and physical experiences that are aligned with our design principles
- Be a creative powerhouse representing the user, design and experience, and a collaborative partner who reaches out and brings the right cross-functional colleagues along on compelling concepts.
- Lead the exploration of complex needs and the transformation into easy-to-use, , beautiful, engaging hardware/software designs for Simplisafe customers
- Be creative with new-to-the-world physical, interactive experiences
What you’ll need to be successful:
- Systems thinking: You love complex questions and use your work to communicate that complexity in simple ways
- You have 7+ years as a user experience designer, with a rich track record of shipping easy and delightful consumer products and a deep understanding of the technologies involved.
- You have proven mastery at the front end of the design process, crafting unique, successful product directions based on real user needs, customer research and market insights.
- You know how to bridge between hardware and software
- Prototyping: You are ready to learn from failure, embrace an iterative process, and you understand that success comes sooner with trial and error. You have hands on experience in creating low and high fidelity prototypes, at speed
- Team Skills: You work best in a participatory, team-based environment. You inspire teams through collaboration as well as direction, vision, and planning of deliverables
- Openness: Designers need to be flexible and open-minded. You are optimistic, creative, generative, and you embrace ambiguity.
- 7+ years of physical/digital interaction design experience outside of academic training
- Bachelor’s and/or graduate degree in Interaction Design, Industrial Design, Product Design, or other relevant degree
- Experience with a variety of interactive prototyping tools.
- You have proven experience mentoring other designers.
- Experience in AR/VR is a plus
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work in list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!