Senior Advertising & Brand Counsel
Senior Advertising & Brand Counsel
SimpliSafe is looking to hire a Senior Advertising & Brand Counsel, as we expand our Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of our company. This attorney will be a key member of the Legal Team serving as lead attorney of SimpliSafe’s Marketing, Retail and Creative teams and providing support for the company’s Product and customer-facing commercial functions, with a focus on advertising, promotions, trademarks, copyright and brand protection.
About SimpliSafe’s Legal Team:
SimpliSafe’s Legal Team is charged with representing the company’s interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do what’s needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set SimpliSafe up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each other’s success and development and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be rewarding and challenging.
What You’ll Do:
- Serve as lead attorney for SimpliSafe’s Marketing, Retail and Creative teams.
- Review and provide legal guidance on advertising and marketing materials, product and service claims, promotional offers, contests and sweepstakes, social media, press releases and other communications.
- Advise and counsel business leaders on consumer protection, business affairs, advertising law, advertising technology, digital media, data privacy and protection and other legal matters that impact marketing, advertising and consumer engagement.
- Support our commercial functions (Marketing and Product teams) in building and protecting Branding - IP rights in Trademarks and Copyrights, as well as enforcing those rights when needed.
- Oversee our Brand Protection program that fights counterfeiters, imposters, and unauthorized resellers around the world.
- Assist with effective resolution of commercial, advertising, trademark and copyright challenges.
- Develop and conduct client trainings and job aids to improve how our Legal team supports our business functions and improve the practices and processes around development of creative assets in light of related risks and opportunities.
What You’ll Bring:
- Experience working in or directly with in house legal departments of a consumer products company supporting e-commerce (direct-to-consumer) and retail distribution models is strongly preferred.
- Substantive knowledge of marketing, advertising, endorsement guidelines, privacy, consumer protection, trademark and copyright laws.
- Experience advising on and reviewing advertising and promotional strategies and materials for compliance with internal guidelines as well as regulatory and legal requirements.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts related to advertising and marketing initiatives, trademark agreements and related co-existence agreements.
- Experience leading advertising related disputes and competitor challenges and engaging and managing external counsel, preferably having handled advertising disputes with TV networks, FTC inquiries, NAD challenges, consumer litigations, etc. Knowledge and experience dealing of UK advertising standards and agencies like Clearcast and ASA are a plus.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills with proven ability to interact effectively with varied business and legal team constituents, including internal clients as well as agency partners.
- Possess an intellectual curiosity about our business and desire to grow and develop beyond your comfort zone.
- Sound judgment and a high degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel if not admitted in Massachusetts.
- 5-8 years’ experience practicing in a dynamic, fast paced setting, in an in-house or top tier law firm setting.
- Experience practicing before NAD or FTC on advertising challenges.
- Experience advising businesses on soft IP (Trademark and Copyright) best practices to build business relevant protections and enforce those rights when needed.
Simplisafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurens in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing Simplisafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, Simplisafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At Simplisafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If Simplisafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!