Director, Strategic Sourcing
Who We are
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
We design, develop, and sell our own line of wireless, connected home security systems. We manage a diverse network of global manufacturers to help with design, and lead in manufacturing of our products. This includes home sensors, cameras, and locks. Our technology and service platform secures the homes of millions of people across the United States and the U.K.
We focus on product creation and development to the highest quality standards to support our customers and enable the safest solutions for their lives.
We drive passion through innovation, not only through product creation and design, but through operational excellence, simplifying our supply chain and operations, driving quality, removing waste, and delighting our customers.
What You'll Do
- Lead creation and implementation of sourcing and demand management strategies.
- Manage the development of RFx materials, detailed analysis of proposals and vendor capabilities, negotiations and supplier selection.
- Lead and coach a team responsible to strategically partner with business unit leaders and contribute to overall strategies by providing procurement expertise and strategic partnering for purchasing opportunities.
- Counsel stakeholders regarding purchasing processes, technology capabilities and policies to assist in the procurement and product lifecycle.
- Leverage key metrics to identify problem areas and adopt current and emerging business models with an entrepreneurial mindset and creative approach to drive best practice.
- Responsible for the supplier relationship management and performance of mechanical/electro-mechanical component suppliers.
- Strategic thinking to develop longer-range supply strategies and plans that drive significant value while meeting the business requirements.
- Partner with internal Engineering, Product Management, Quality, and Manufacturing teams to develop strategies that drive improvement throughout the product life cycle.
- Negotiate and manage part costs, including NRE, associated with new product introduction.
- Negotiate component assurance and compliance to product specifications and legal standards.
- Establish end-to-end partner performance measurements and scorecards and hold partners accountable to continually improve cost, quality, lead time and service to both SimpliSafe and our contract manufacturing partners.
- Work with legal team on manufacturing service agreements and ensure contract compliance
- Identify potential new suppliers and manage supplier assessment, audits, and oversee qualifications.
- Develop, implement, and lead supplier selection process (including RFI/RFQ/RFP) for new mechanical/electro-mechanical component suppliers and other Tier 2 commodity suppliers.
- Develop AVL to maximize quality, cost savings and scalability.
- Key contributor in developing Should Cost analysis.
- Lead executive-level business reviews with critical partners at appropriate cadence
- Align with manufacturing partners to best leverage external capabilities, and improve ordering/buffering requirements while preventing supply risks and improving flexibility of supply
- Be a gateway of innovation from our supply base into SimpliSafe engineering teams to leverage industry to gain us leading edge technology for our new design concepts
- Ensure appropriate leveraging of geo-diversification of supply base and multi source strategies to mitigate supply risk, and ensure appropriate competitive leverage within the supply base
What You'll Bring
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 15+ years in managing outsourced manufacturing, Tier 2 suppliers, and development of consumer electronics
- Strong analytical acumen and experience influencing senior leaders based on deep supply market knowledge
- Enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Enthusiastic and motivated with the ability to build relationships both internally and with key partners up to the executive level
- Perform as player/coach for your staff to produce the results for their respective areas.
- Experience in contracts and contract negotiations
- Demonstrated experience managing by influence, both with internal and external partners
- Experience improving supply chain and supplier performance, including the use of cost models and performance metrics in the contract manufacturing industry
- Experience working with Asian manufacturers and traveling to manufacturing sites. Ability to travel internationally up to 30%
- Bachelor’s Degree in ME, EE, IE, Business, or Supply Chain Management
- Master’s degree in Mechanical/Electrical/Industrial Engineering or MBA
- Language skills with the ability to speak/read Mandarin/Chinese
- Strong understanding of geo-political and global trade influences within Asia