Software Development Manager
We’re a high-tech home security company that’s passionate about protecting the life you’ve built. So, we’ve created a culture here that cares just as deeply about the career you’re building. Ours is a no-ego culture of collaboration and innovation where those seeking their next challenge can find big opportunities, and make a huge impact on the lives of all those that we protect. We don’t just want you to work here. We want you to grow and thrive here.
Why are we hiring?
Well, we’re growing and thriving. So, we need smart, talented, and humble people who share our values to join us as we relentlessly pursue our goal of ensuring everyone feels safe in their own home.
As a private-equity-backed, hyper-growth IoT leader, SimpliSafe has made building a world-class fully internationalized e-commerce platform a Board level priority. We are in the very early stages of building this capability and are looking for a hands-on technical leader to drive this initiative and lead the team to get it done. This is a unique opportunity to design and build an integrated solution for a proven market leader.
SimpliSafe’s Device Platform organization is looking for an Engineering Manager to lead our Device Connectivity team. This team is responsible for many of the edge systems that manage the critical interactions between our cloud environment and the security devices in customers’ homes. In this team, you’ll help us maintain the high degrees of reliability and performance needed to make every home secure, while supporting the introduction of exciting new security devices and capabilities for years to come.
What You'll Do:
- Directly manage a team of 5-7 developers.
- Hire and grow world-class people for your team.
- Collaborate with product owners to translate business requirements into platform capabilities that deliver value for our customers - both now and in the future.
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the team. Ensure continuous delivery of customer value. Maintain a high level of technical excellence and reliability by working directly with your team every sprint.
- Help create a technical vision that maximizes security for our customers and flexibility for our business. Guide your team to deliver on that vision.
The ideal candidate has experience leading agile teams and a passion for developing people and acting as a force multiplier, while having the technical strength to get in the weeds and accurately assess and grow team and individual performance.
What You'll Bring:
- Be collaborative by nature
- Be adept at building consensus to solve technical and organizational challenges
- Enjoy challenges and problem solving, helping to scale your team’s work and accelerate delivery via continuous improvement
- 5+ years of professional software development experience, with a track record of delivering flexible, reliable, cloud-based APIs
- 1-2 years of people management experience
- Experience with C++, Go, Python, and AWS is preferred but not required
- Experience in an IoT environment is helpful but not required
Benefits & Perks:
- Health, dental and vision coverage - We cover 80% of plans and offer excellent BCBS HMO/PPO Health plans
- Unlimited paid time off - To give you the flexibility and work/life balance you seek
- 401k Matching and Company Equity - To help you prepare for the future
- Bagel Thursdays, Bi-Weekly Lunches, Team and Company Outings – We know how to have fun! Besides, who doesn’t like free food and drinks?!
What Values You’ll Share:
- Customer Obsessed - Building deep empathy for customers and developing strong, long-term relationships with them.
- Aim High - Always challenging oneself and others to raise the bar.
- No Ego - “no job too small” attitude, and open, inclusive and humble style.
- One Team - highly collaborative approach to achieving success.
- Lift As We Climb - A track record of investing in developing others and helping others succeed.
- Lean & Nimble - working with agility and efficiency to experiment in an often-ambiguous environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Likewise, we are committed to full support of qualified individuals in hiring and employment. In keeping with this commitment, we will work with qualified individuals with disabilities to assess whether a reasonable accommodation may be provided to perform the essential functions of their role, absent undue hardship. If a reasonable accommodation may be needed to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of a position, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.