We’re a high-tech home security company that’s passionate about protecting the life you’ve built and our mission of keeping Every Home Secure. And we’ve created a culture here that cares just as deeply about the career you’re building. Ours is a no-ego culture of collaboration and innovation where those seeking their next challenge can find big opportunities and make a huge impact on the lives of all those who we protect. We don’t just want you to work here. We want you to grow and thrive here.
We’re embracing a hybrid work model that enables our teams to split their time between office and home. Hybrid for us means we expect our teams to come together in our state-of-the-art office on two core days, typically Tuesday and Wednesday, to work together in person, and teams can choose where they work for the remainder of the week. We all benefit from flexibility and get to use the best of both worlds to get our work done.
Why are we hiring?
Well, we’re growing and thriving. So, we need smart, talented, and humble people who share our values to join us as we disrupt the home security space and relentlessly pursue our mission of keeping Every Home Secure.
What You'll Do
SimpliSafe is looking for a Lead Design Researcher as we scale our UX, Product Design and Research team. This role is a great opportunity to influence and contribute to our newest app, hardware, and service initiatives. Our UX research team is designing for a diversity of human needs for emotional and physical well-being in the area of home security and delivering services. You will use a variety of qualitative and quantitative methods to accomplish our goals including planning, conducting, and synthesizing exploratory foundational and evaluative design research to identify consumer insights to guide the product user experience direction.
Primary Responsibilities Include
- Collaborate with UX Designers and Researchers, Product Managers, Customer Success team, Product Marketing, and other research teams across the organization to identify initiatives.
- Partner closely with UX, Design, and Product Team members to effectively plan, manage, prioritize, and execute end-to-end primary research using a wide variety of methods to inform and inspire design strategy and product development.
- Conduct ethnographic design research to identify user needs. Design studies that address both user behaviors, attitudes, and understanding user mindsets.
- Synthesize raw research data to derive creative, impactful insights and opportunities and communicate the why through compelling story-telling.
- Align and efficiently execute critical insights and work with stakeholders.
- Help lead Alpha and Beta product testing and validation.
What You'll Need to Be Successful
- Deep experience in design research for digital consumer products, and service design with broad exposure to a variety of qualitative research methodologies such as one-on-one interviews, surveys, ethnographic-style fieldwork, moderating group conversations, diary studies, in-home sessions, conducting co-design workshops, evaluative research, and engaging users remotely.
- Impactful and effective communicative skills with a passion for details.
- Inspire other team members through creativity.
- Expertise in translating research insights to creative design solutions.
- Expert with user testing and research tools such as UserTesting.com, UserInterviews.com, DScout, CenterCode, Qualtrics, SurveyMonkey, Google Forms, or similar.
- Experience working with research at the intersection of hardware, software, and service design. Ideally for digital consumer products and service delivery.
- Degree in a human behavior-related field, such as Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction, Sociology, Communication, Information Science, Economics, or Computer Science
- Deep professional experience in applied research, outside of academic training. This might include ethnographic-style fieldwork, design research, UX research, journalism, and others.
- Willingness to travel on occasion to SimpliSafe’s offices in Richmond, VA.
What Values You’ll Share
- Customer Obsessed - Building deep empathy for our customers, putting them at the core of our work, and developing strong, long-term relationships with them.
- Aim High - Always challenging ourselves and others to raise the bar.
- No Ego - Maintaining a “no job too small” attitude, and an open, inclusive and humble style.
- One Team - Taking a highly collaborative approach to achieving success.
- Lift As We Climb - Investing in developing others and helping others around us succeed.
- Lean & Nimble - Working with agility and efficiency to experiment in an often ambiguous environment.
We wholeheartedly embrace and actively seek applications from all individuals, no matter how they identify. We are committed to cultivating a diverse and inclusive workplace, and we believe our work is enriched when we incorporate a multitude of perspectives, backgrounds, and experiences. We want everyone who works here to thrive and contribute to not only our mission of keeping every home secure, but also to making our workplace safe and supportive for others. If a reasonable accommodation may be needed to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of a position, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.