Staff Software Engineer
We’re a high-tech home security company that’s passionate about protecting the life you’ve built and our mission of keeping Every Home Secure. And we’ve created a culture here that cares just as deeply about the career you’re building. Ours is a no ego culture of collaboration and innovation where those seeking their next challenge can find big opportunities and make a huge impact on the lives of all those who we protect. We don’t just want you to work here. We want you to grow and thrive here.
We’re embracing a hybrid work model that enables our teams to split their time between office and home. Hybrid for us means we expect our teams to come together in our state-of-the-art office on two core days, typically Tuesday and Wednesday, working together in person and choose where they work for the remainder of the week. We all benefit from flexibility and get to use the best of both worlds to get our work done.
Why are we hiring?
Well, we’re growing and thriving. So, we need smart, talented, and humble people who share our values to join us as we disrupt the home security space and relentlessly pursue our mission of keeping Every Home Secure.
What You’ll Do:
Our R&D team develops and maintains a microservices architecture for video recording/playback and is looking for top-notch Software Engineers to join our team. Our services are built mainly in Python (with some smaller services in node.js/go) with a backend mostly in mongodb (mix of on prem and AWS technologies including KVS and EKS), so experience with that is certainly preferred, but not required. You will also be exposed to React and React Native front ends.
The work this team is doing will allow us to deliver more products, and more features faster than ever before and will help us support those products and services in a user base that is projected to double every 3 years.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Build solutions from their inception through to production - from design, development, testing and deployment.
- Work with product owners to understand their needs and deliver solutions in a test and learn approach.
- Work on microservices which are:
- Small, and independent
- Easy to learn, change, extend
- Enable self-service by service users
What You'll Bring:
- Extensive professional experience writing web services at scale using one of Nodejs, Java, Python, C#, or C++
- Open to oncall support rotations
- Working familiarity with at least one other language and a willingness to work in a polyglot development environment.
- Thorough understanding of REST/grpc and web technology.
- Experience with cloud technology (AWS preferred) and designing solutions that leverage its unique advantages.
- Collaborative mindset and a passion for technology and learning. Enjoys mentoring teammates and helping everyone perform better.
- Practitioner of lean or agile software development principles and practices, understanding and advocating the importance of test automation, continuous delivery, continuous improvement, and value delivery.
- Nice to haves:
- Experience with terraform
- Experience with go
- Experience with python
- Experience with AI
- Experience with video / media processing (encoding/decoding, streaming, codecs, ffmpeg, webRTC, etc.)
- Experience with IoT environments
- Experience with React/React Native
What Values You’ll Share
- Customer Obsessed - Building deep empathy for our customers, putting them at the core of our work, and developing strong, long-term relationships with them.
- Aim High - Always challenging ourselves and others to raise the bar.
- No Ego - Maintaining a “no job too small” attitude, and an open, inclusive and humble style.
- One Team - Taking a highly collaborative approach to achieving success.
- Lift As We Climb - Investing in developing others and helping others around us succeed.
- Lean & Nimble - Working with agility and efficiency to experiment in an often ambiguous environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Likewise, we are committed to full support of qualified individuals in hiring and employment. In keeping with this commitment, we will work with qualified individuals with disabilities to assess whether a reasonable accommodation may be provided to perform the essential functions of their role, absent undue hardship. If a reasonable accommodation may be needed to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of a position, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.