Director of Quality
Who We Are
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
We design, develop, and sell our own line of wireless, connected home security systems. We manage a diverse network of global manufacturers to help with design, and lead in manufacturing of our products. This includes home sensors, cameras, and locks. Our technology and service platform secures the homes of millions of people across the United States and the U.K.
We focus on product creation and development to the highest quality standards to support our customers and enable the safest solutions for their lives.
We are passionate about innovation, product development, operational excellence, optimizing operations, improving quality, and delighting our customers.
The Director of Quality will report to the VP of Manufacturing Operations and Supply Chain. You will be the owner of the product quality function with our contract manufacturing partners in Asia and our internal team in the US. You will develop and lead the strategic direction of the quality team and will work cross-functionally to ensure that we are delivering the highest product quality to our customers. We’re looking for an ambitious, innovative leader who is motivated to create a world class quality organization.
For the right candidate, this role will be incredibly rewarding. You will have an opportunity to make a tangible impact on the business and will play a key role in SimpliSafe’s continued evolution and success.
What You’ll Do
You will have responsibility to architect the team structure, hire new team members, and provide strategy and leadership for the organization. Key functions will include:
- Product Quality Assurance
- Product Quality Control
- Product Quality Reporting
- Field Product Quality Performance, Reporting, and Improvement
- Document Control and Process
- Product Compliance and Certifications (UL, RoHS, Prop65, etc.)
- Product Quality Standard Setting and Management
- Responsible Sourcing
- Contract Manufacturing Quality metrics, management and continuous improvement
- Quality Dashboard Creation and Management
- Support Critical Supplier QBR
- Support / host Contract Manufacturing or Sub-Tier Supplier Audits
- Drive the organization to a proper QMS
- Focus on both short and long term strategy goals
- Develop a phased approach to drive towards global QMS process
- Ensure cross functional engagement and leadership towards world class quality within our industry
What You’ll Need
- 10+ years of progressive leadership experience with at least 5 years within quality
- Bachelor's degree in engineering or manufacturing, Masters preferred
- Experience with NPI product quality including full DFx
- Experience managing contract manufacturing quality including IQC, production data management, and quality process creation and control
- Experience managing field quality performance including voice of the customer, field data, partnering with sustaining engineering to prioritize work
- Experience managing customer product returns including teardown, refurbishment, triage and recycling
- Robust background in plastics, electronics, assembly, etc.
- Strong experience with consumer electronics
- Demonstrated experience in building a culture of quality
- Proven success in resolving quality, compliance, supply and safety risks
- Ability to work cross functionally and strategically with leaders across the business (call center, product, marketing, etc.)
- Strong interpersonal and talent management skills
- Ability to travel internationally up to 25-50% (when able)
What we’d love to see (but isn’t required)
- Success in working with contract manufacturing partners in especially within Asia
- Experience leading an internal compliance team
- Understanding and Experience working with or managing a CSR program
- ISO9001 / TS16949 experience
- Certified Quality Engineer (CQE) certified
- Black Belt / Master Black Belt