Director, Internal Communications
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
We believe in democratizing home safety. As our co-founder Chad Laurans aptly put it, “you shouldn’t have to ask for permission to secure your home. You should be able to do it yourself.”
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
SimpliSafe has a range of opportunities for like-minded individuals, from our US and UK corporate offices to our warehouses and customer service centers.
SimpliSafe is seeking an experienced Director of Internal Communications to provide primary support to the company’s People team to develop an employee communication strategy that supports our overall corporate narrative and amplifies the company’s vision, mission and strategy, inclusive of key initiatives within our global organization. The role’s primary client will be the Human Resources organization (“People Team”), inclusive of our Chief People Officer, our network of HR Business Partners (“People Partners”) supporting other senior members of the company’s executive leadership team, and the broader People team. We’re looking for a relationship builder who is proficient at storytelling, an excellent writer who knows how to capture the voice of an executive, who understands how to communicate in the voice of our brand, and who can come up with creative and innovative ideas and ways to inform, motivate, delight and engage employees through multiple channels: content, events like company town halls and employee technologies like an internal intranet, Slack and other social communications tools. This role reports into SimpliSafe’s Chief People Officer.
What You'll Do
- Develop an employer branding and internal communications strategy, plans and programs - including developing and utilizing appropriate channels, branding, and new mediums - to support key People team and company-wide efforts globally to attract, retain and grow employees, and align with our overall corporate strategy.
- Partner closely with internal clients (Talent Acquisition, Learning and Development, DE&I, Total Rewards, HR business partners) to design and develop communications and plans which meet their needs.
- Develop new ways to communicate about People and company-wide initiatives in an inspiring, informative, and inclusive way in support of benefits, compensation, performance management, employee surveys, hiring, onboarding, learning & development, inclusion & diversity, and manager/leader development
- Leverage internal and external creative resources to produce content that engages and inspires.
- Assist with rollout of new efforts related to the evolution of a positive work culture in a post pandemic world, reaching a global, employee population, inclusive of promotions to employees engaged in differing, new ways of working (remote, hybrid, in-office)
- Draft, review and edit executive leadership team communications, in partnership with HR business partners, to deliver key messages effectively to the company in a consistent and compelling manner.
- Manage and drive content, in partnership with the VP, Marketing and senior leadership, in company-wide channels (e.g., during town halls, on Slack) related to overall corporate topics, inclusive of People team programming and working with others in the organization to provide content key channel communications.
- Ensure consistency in message across departments inside the company (Marketing, Engineering, Customer Experience) ensuring that all programs align with company messaging/other efforts
- Partnering with key company leaders and stakeholders, along with other colleagues within the communications team and brand marketing, to ensure our online presence as an employer brand is engaging, informative and accurate.
Experience & Skills
- 10+ years of experience developing strategy and execution in an internal and executive communications role with a focus on employee engagement or employee experience preferred
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills, with the ability to craft and deliver presentations to large and small groups
- A true writing pro! Someone with deep understanding of grammar, strong attention to detail and fine-tuned editorial and copy-editing skills from memos to speeches, as well as an understanding of how to write “in the voice of an executive”
- Demonstrated ability to identify emerging trends in communications, develop related strategies and effectively translate them into actionable plans
- Proven success building and implementing programs that inform and delight team members
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Experience managing a variety of internal and corporate communications channels, including convening tools for virtual town halls, intranets/websites, Slack, mobile, video, and social media channels
- Experience managing crises related to people topics and working with other internal teams on messaging and plans
- Brand conscious and creative with a strong sense of the importance of messaging and design and how we show up as a brand internally that makes employees feel proud to be associated with a brand that is relevant to a new generation of employees and consumers at-large
- Strong project management skills and the proven ability to balance multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment