Privacy Compliance Manager
SimpliSafe is looking for a Privacy Compliance Manager to help build and manage the accurate implementation, administration, and communication of data privacy compliance across the company. As a member of the compliance group within our legal department, you will be the primary point of contact for a variety of privacy compliance activities with the mission of enabling SimpliSafe to operate at scale digitally, efficiently, and globally while protecting the data of our employees, customers, and brand.
As the Privacy Compliance Manager, you excel at guiding internal technical and non-technical stakeholders on how to comply with complex privacy and data protection laws and internal data protection policies. You will report to Legal’s head of global privacy, partnering closely with your manager and the Information Security team to increase privacy compliance maturity. You will also have the opportunity to develop and drive the implementation of internal privacy compliance processes and practices, helping SimpliSafe comply with privacy laws, especially those coming into effect in 2023, and maintaining awareness of current and developing federal, state, and international privacy laws and regulations.
What You’ll Be Doing
- Oversee the integrity and maintenance of SimpliSafe’s data inventory across the organization and its subsidiaries, keeping the data inventory current as company activities change and evolve.
- In collaboration with Information Security, create and manage the implementation of a CPRA cybersecurity audit framework, manage systematic audits required by CPRA, and ensure audit findings are reported and acted upon.
- Administer SimpliSafe’s platform for data subject requests and manage responding to data subject rights requests, such as for Do Not Sell, access, portability, erasure, and other requests. Investigate and support automation of these obligations.
- Support drafting and manage implementation of various data protection policies, procedures, and practices for our global businesses.
- Take lead on developing and performing company-wide training on data protection requirements for international data privacy regimes and data privacy principles.
- Administer privacy impact assessments in partnership with our Data Protection Officer and collaborate with relevant stakeholders to ensure remediation based on findings.
- Support execution and continued development of the Legal Department’s Privacy Roadmap.
- Draft and maintain compliance documents, manage ongoing privacy compliance efforts, and drive remediation to meet new privacy compliance requirements.
- Serve as primary privacy compliance liaison and partner with key business functions, in particular the IT/Information Security team, Marketing, Product Development, and Engineering, to ensure data privacy issues are considered at the outset of (i) new projects, (ii) onboarding of new vendors and suppliers, and (iii) new strategic initiatives, and develop and implement processes for the same.
- Lead implementation of a privacy framework, such as the NIST Privacy Framework, with support from your manager
- Other duties as appropriate for experience level and company needs.
What We Look For In You
- A minimum of 4 years of experience across all areas of data privacy compliance.
- Able to manage implementation of privacy policies, procedures, and practices, such as a retention policy or data classification policy, with various business partners, such as Marketing, Product Development, People and Engineering.
- Strong knowledge of privacy issues in relation to evolving technology (e.g., mobile, cloud, data lakes, AI, biometrics).
- Experience building and implementing risk management frameworks (preferably in privacy) to objectively measure privacy risks, monitor risk levels, and track remediation.
- Strong knowledge of privacy best practices and major privacy regulations (e.g., CCPA, CPRA, GDPR).
- Comfortable operating on an unpaved road and partnering with business stakeholders to help build the company’s privacy compliance function.
- Demonstrate deep knowledge of data handling and data classification.
- Experience managing data privacy issues in a global organization.
- Capable of managing data compliance reviews, gap assessments, and audits.
- Ability to communicate and develop awareness of key privacy concepts, such as privacy by design, to all levels of the organization,
- Ability to translate and convey privacy standards as easy to understand functional requirements.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Strong academic credentials and at least a bachelor’s degree.
Nice To Haves
- 5-7 years of experience across all areas of data privacy compliance at either a technology company or in an industry with heightened data privacy and security compliance requirements.
- Strong technical ability to dig into personal data flows.
- Strong understanding of database and data infrastructure principles.
- Familiarity with industry-standard methods of encryption, anonymization, and other information security requirements.
- A certification such as CIPP/M or CIPT is a plus, but not a requirement.
About SimpliSafe’s Legal Department:
SimpliSafe’s Legal Department is charged with representing the company’s interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve some of the most complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities, and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do what is needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers, and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set the company up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful, and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance, and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each other’s success and development, and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be fun, rewarding, and challenging.
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!