SimpliSafe is looking to hire a Commercial Counsel as we expand our Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of the broader organization, development of our product set and expansion of the SimpliSafe brand into new markets. In this role, you will serve as a key member of the Legal Team responsible for managing a high volume of contract and other commercial legal projects, reviews and requests for timely business-minded legal advice and working with all members of the Legal Team. You will grow into supporting initiatives within different functional areas of the company.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against entrenched mainstays like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively.
What you’ll do:
- Take a lead role in contract drafting, review and negotiation across the organization, including NDAs and Services Agreements, with a focus on SaaS, licensing, advertising and partnership agreements.
- Support selection, configuration and implementation of legal team matter and contract lifecycle management tools and processes to drive efficiency to team operations.
- Act as a primary Legal point of contact for SimpliSafe’s Procurement Team and its Partnerships Team for all commercial activity and related long-term initiatives.
- Develop, revise and maintain SimpliSafe’s form agreements.
- Translate legal issues into relevant business risks and provide practical, solutions-oriented advice that appropriately balances legal risks with business needs.
- Build collaborative and effective working relationships with different SimpliSafe teams across the U.S. and internationally to ultimately manage and resolve associated legal issues that arise in commercial relationships.
- Serve as a general Legal Team point of contact, providing legal support to the business in a variety of practice areas, managing the needs accordingly to include in- and out-sourcing certain specialized matters as may be needed.
What you’ll bring:
Legal Department Required Attributes and Skills:
- Excellent written, oral, listening, and organizational skills with proven ability to collaborate and interact effectively with varied business and Legal Team constituents.
- Possess outstanding negotiating skills and high degree of business savvy to facilitate practical, creative and positive outcomes.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously and deal with rapidly changing priorities.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
- Experience working in-house.
- Experience working with consumer products or companies that have substantial e-commerce (direct-to-consumer) and retail distribution models is strongly preferred.
- Experience supporting internal business units, interfacing directly with functional business leads and front-line business team members.
- Experience addressing legal and commercial issues associated with the delivery, performance, maintenance and support of SaaS-based services.
- Experience supporting products and businesses that are subject to state, federal or industry-specific licensing requirements and other like regulations.
- Experience supporting high-growth technology companies engaged in international expansion.
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel.
- 4-7 years’ experience practicing in a dynamic, fast paced environment. with experience both in an in-house and firm setting strongly preferred.
- Experience counseling on a wide array of contractual matters and a mastery of negotiating and drafting standard commercial contracts.
What Values You’ll Share:
- Customer Obsessed - Building deep empathy for customers and developing strong, long-term relationships with them.
- Aim High - Always challenging oneself and others to raise the bar.
- No Ego - “no job too small” attitude, and open, inclusive and humble style.
- One Team - highly collaborative approach to achieving success.
- Lift As We Climb - A track record of investing in developing others and helping others succeed.
- Lean & Nimble - working with agility and efficiency to experiment in an often-ambiguous environment.
About SimpliSafe’s Legal Department:
SimpliSafe’s Legal Department is charged with representing the company’s interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve some of the most complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do what’s needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously. Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set the company up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedbackAs a team we collaborate and support each other’s success and development, and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment, matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be fun, rewarding and challenging.
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans, and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Likewise, we are committed to full support of qualified individuals in hiring and employment. In keeping with this commitment, we will work with qualified individuals with disabilities to assess whether a reasonable accommodation may be provided to perform the essential functions of their role, absent undue hardship. If a reasonable accommodation may be needed to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of a position, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.