Staff Firmware Engineer
We’re a high-tech home security company that’s passionate about protecting the life you’ve built and our mission of Every Home Secure. So, we’ve created a culture here that cares just as deeply about the career you’re building. Ours is a no-ego culture of collaboration and innovation where those seeking their next challenge can find big opportunities, and make a huge impact on the lives of all those that we protect. We don’t just want you to work here. We want you to grow and thrive here.
Why are we hiring?
Well, we’re growing and thriving. So, we need smart, talented, and humble people who share our values to join us as we relentlessly pursue our goal of ensuring Every Home Secure.
SimpliSafe is looking for a Staff Embedded Firmware Engineer to lead firmware development projects for our award winning wireless IoT home security and camera system used by millions of users. In this role, you will:
- Serve as the primary firmware contact on multidisciplinary product teams including electrical, mechanical, manufacturing, cloud, app, product and industrial design representation
- Work with business and technical stakeholders to define and document requirements and design for new services provided by our camera platforms; define complex end-to-end system interactions to provide customer features which involve interaction between mobile apps, cloud services, the camera and other alarm system components
- Plan and execute on firmware development for new camera products based on a common hardware and firmware platform using Agile methodologies
- Plan and execute integration of camera features in your area of responsibility with other complex system components
- Lead a team of up to five firmware engineers using Agile methodology
- Unit test and verification of code and related API frameworks
- Continually improve and maintain the common platform firmware
- Proven experience with object oriented software development in embedded applications
- Proven experience with complex software configuration management using git, including submodules, branching and release management
- Experience delivering complex, multithreaded applications on common embedded operating systems and environments such as Linux, QNX, Vxworks, etc
- Experience delivering reliable inter- and intraprocessor communications frameworks for embedded systems
- Experience with C++ and modern frameworks or libraries such as Boost
- Application layer development of high level state machines and system flow architectures
- Very comfortable with linux based development environments, make files etc
- Excellent understanding of C and bare-metal programming in embedded applications
- Experience with ARM based SoCs
- Experience with scripting language(s) such as Python, Bash
- Enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment
- You value testing, and test based software development
- Bachelor Degree in CS/CE/EE or equivalent experience
- Experience with video compression standards (MJPEG, H.264, etc) and audio compression standards (MPEG-3, Speex, etc)
- Experience with integrating advanced algorithms and machine learning frameworks in embedded real time applications
- Experience with some high level communications protocols and physical layers such as TCP/IP, Wifi, Bluetooth, Zigbee, USB, Modbus, etc.
- Ability to read schematics and use common lab equipment (logic analyzers, oscilloscopes)
What Values You’ll Share:
- Customer Obsessed - Building deep empathy for customers and developing strong, long-term relationships with them.
- Aim High - Always challenging oneself and others to raise the bar.
- No Ego - “No job too small” attitude, and an open, inclusive and humble style.
- One Team - Highly collaborative approach to achieving success.
- Lift As We Climb - A track record of investing in developing others and helping others succeed.
- Lean & Nimble - Working with agility and efficiency to experiment in an often-ambiguous environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Likewise, we are committed to full support of qualified individuals in hiring and employment. In keeping with this commitment, we will work with qualified individuals with disabilities to assess whether a reasonable accommodation may be provided to perform the essential functions of their role, absent undue hardship. If a reasonable accommodation may be needed to fully participate in the job application or interview process, to perform the essential functions of a position, or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact email@example.com.