Trade Compliance Manager
About the Role:
SimpliSafe is looking for a Trade Compliance Manager to develop, implement and handle import and export trade regulatory compliance. This individual will work closely across the business to ensure trade compliance programs are developed and carried out across all SimpliSafe sites. The role will have an opportunity to contribute to implementing policies and procedures to ensure company-wide compliance with domestic and international shipping requirements, customs regulations and trade laws.
Primary responsibilities include:
● Administer Trade Compliance corporate policies and procedures for import and export.
● Provide auditing/compliance monitoring services, Entry and ACE activities, making corrective actions on any findings through the use of Post Summary Corrections and error corrections methodology, administrative protests, and prior disclosures.
● Develop and refine procedures for trade compliance programs as well as ensuring corrective action processes are in place to comply with global import and export regulations.
● Perform product classifications – Harmonized Tariff Schedule codes (HTS) and Export Commodity Classification Numbers (ECCN)
● Ensure compliance with origin and origin labeling determinations, Customs valuation, and trade agreements eligibility.
● Ensure compliance with business processes for submitting to and obtaining from the U.S. government all necessary export and import licenses, permits and certifications.
● Ensure adherence to global trade compliance standards, HTS code planning, valuation, origin determinations and labeling, and C-TPAT adherence.
● Support the company strategy for export control, with emphasis on company- wide compliance with export control regulations (e.g., International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), Foreign Trade Statistical Regulations).
● Partner cross-functionally in the development, improvement and implementation of global trade compliance policies and processes.
● Coordinate with various departments and conduct internal training on trade compliance.
● Support trade compliance risk assessments and audits, as well as investigations and remediation.
● Update Trade Compliance Manual and Trade Compliance policies, as needed.
● Coordinate communication with government agencies – CBP, etc. as needed.
● Work closely with other members of the Law & Compliance Department and other internal stakeholders to help the business navigate global trade restrictions and tariffs and to properly and timely address Customs fines, penalties, forfeitures, seizures, sanctions, and liquidated damages claims
● Develop and maintain an internal audit program.
● Address queries from affiliates, internal departments, trading partners and third parties.
● Manage relationships with company designated freight forwarders, customs brokers, and sureties.
● Prepare internal reports for management.
● Download and analyze reports from ACE for use in reconciliation and self- assessment/compliance testing and other compliance activities.
● Perform ad hoc projects and other duties as may be assigned.
What you’ll have
● 6+ years of experience in global trade compliance (Import/Export, Classification, and Special Trade Programs)
● Familiarity with HTSUS, CROSS, ACE and ITRAC and other agency products required for Customs/import compliance and procedures.
● Customs Brokers License and other Import/Export Certifications are strongly preferred
● Advanced knowledge of U.S. and Non-U.S. import and export trade compliance processes, policies, and controls.
● Proficiency working with Microsoft Suite, Google Docs, global trade management software, ACE portal
● Excellent analytical skills, including the proven ability to adapt to a dynamic environment.
● Excellent knowledge of applicable trade regulations (US Customs).
● Bachelor’s Degree required in Business, International Business or related field.
● Excellent communication skills
● Excellent organizational skills.